Founder | Leader | Entrepreneur
My work journey has taken me from dishwasher to CEO, from fast food to cloud based technology, from Davenport, Iowa to more than 30 countries around the globe. Along the way I have enjoyed leading, learning, contributing, mentoring, strategizing, innovating and giving back. One important lesson learned along the way is that there are opportunities to make a difference in all aspects of our lives. This has made the journey all the more rewarding.
While interviewing for my first job out of college I was presented a handsome folio, Inside I found the phrase – “Leadership is Action, Not Position.” I had no idea at the time how much of an impact this would have on my career. I actually framed that part of the folio and have brought it with me to every single cubicle and office I’ve had the pleasure to call my work home.
In the early days, it reminded me that I didn’t have to wait until I had a “leadership position” to be a leader. These days, it reminds me that just having a “leadership position” isn’t enough. It also reminds me that there are people who can lead throughout the organization… and that it is my job to tap into that potential. To this day, tapping into the full potential of the people I have the honor to lead is what brings me the greatest sense of accomplishment.
“Top Skills” – LinkedIn
A few highlights
- Philanthropegie – a labor of love that helps individuals, organizations and nonprofits make a difference.
- SkyTouch Technology – a wonderful opportunity to launch a new business and build a great culture.
- EventSpark – advising and funding a true technology start up has been a great experience.
- 2014 – “10 to Watch 2015” – by Hotel Business Magazine | December 2014
- 2010 – “Top 25 Most Extraordinary Minds in Sales and Marketing” – by Hospitality Sales & Marketing Association International (HSMAI) | 2010
- 1989 – “Kentucky Colonel” – by the Governor & Secretary of State of the Commonwealth of Kentucky | 1989
- 1977 – “Leatherneck Award” – by the United States Marine Corps
- Big Brother Big Sisters of America – I had the honor of being a “big brother” while I was in college at the University of Iowa. I highly recommend this to anyone who wants to make a lasting impact on a young boy or girl.
- UMOM – New Day Center – From volunteer to co-chair of the fundraising event committee to board member, this homeless shelter for families in Phoenix, AZ provided many ways to make a a difference in the lives of families in need.
- Orchard: Africa – My involvement started as the photographer for a vision trip to rural villages in South Africa. Years later, I have fond memories of several trips to villages and townships in South Africa and my years of service on the board of directors.
- Hiking – From my backyard trail into the Sonoran Desert to the Redwood Forest to Ayers Rock in Australia, hiking definitely “feeds my soul.”
- Harleys – I’m on number four now – a Road King Classic – and love every minute of riding through quiet winding roads.
- Photography – I love photography of all kinds. The challenge is sorting through the 70,000+ photos I’ve got on file at this point.
- Fly Fishing – This is one of those things I don’t do very often… and when I do… I wonder why that is?
- Art – I am blessed to be surrounded by talented artists. I just need more places to display all their art.
- Music – A true passion of mine. Someday I might even learn to play these guitars that I’ve collected.